Sunday, August 29, 2021

God's Best

GOD'S BEST

GOD has His best things for the few:
That dare to stand the test;
God has His second choice for those
Who will not have His best.

It is not always open ill
That risks the promised rest;
The better often is the foe
That keeps us from the best.

There's scarcely one but vaguely wants
In some way to be blest;
'Tis not Thy blessing, Lord, I seek,
I want Thy very best.

And others make the highest choice,
But when by trials pressed,
They shrink, they yield, they shun the Cross,
And so they lose the best.

I want, in this short life of mine,
As much as can be pressed
Of service true for God and man;
Help me to be my best.

I want to stand, when Christ appears,
In spotless raiment dressed,
Numbered among his hidden ones,
His holiest and his best. 

I want, among the victor throng,
To have my name confessed,
And hear my Master say at last,
"Well done, you did your best."

Give me, O Lord, Thy highest choice,
Let others take the rest;
Their good things have no charm for me,
For I have got Thy best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are appreciated. All comments are moderated and do not immediately appear after publishing. Thanks and have a nice day!