Sunday, February 20, 2022

Jacob's Pillow

JACOB'S  PILLOW

The  bed  was  earth,  the  raised  pillow  stones,
Whereon  poor  Jacob  rests  his  head,  his  bones;
Heaven  was  his  canopy;  the  shades  of  night
Were  his  drawn  curtains,  to  exclude  the  light.

Poor  state  for  Israel's  heir   it  seems  to  me
His  cattle  found  as  soft  a  bed  as  he:
Yet  God  appeared  there,  his  joy,  his  crown;
God  is  not  always  seen  in  beds  of  down.

Oh,  if  that  God  shall  please  to  make  my  bed,
I  care  not  where  I  rest  my  bones,  my  head;
With  Him,  my  wants  can  never  prove  extreme;
With  Jacob's  pillow  give  me  Jacob's  dream.

Philip  Quarles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are appreciated. All comments are moderated and do not immediately appear after publishing. Thanks and have a nice day!