Thursday, May 9, 2024

Prayer Symbolism for Chrismons

       Above you can see an old illustration of three believers kneeling and praying together under the light of Heaven. The scripture reference for this stylized illustration is from the Gospel of Matthew 
  • ''Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.'' Matthew 18:19-20

The above hand positions to signal prayer have been around for centuries. I've included the Latin and English translations for each hand posture above. Left to right, 'I beseech you', 'I pray', 'I cry' and 'I wonder'

 Scripture References for Praying Hands:
  • ''Remember now; O Lord, I beseech thee, how I have walked before thee in truth and with a whole heart, and have done what is good in thy sight.'' 2 Kings 20:3
  • ''Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.'' Philippians 4:6
  • 'I cry aloud to the LORD; I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy. I pour out before him my complaint; before him I tell my trouble. When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who watch over my way. In the path where I walk people have hidden a snare for me.'' Psalms 142:1-7
  • ''There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours. All nations you have made shall come and worship before you , O Lord, and shall glorify your name. For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God. Psalm 86: 8-10
Woman praying; her hands in the Admiror position.
  
 
Hymns and Worship Music About Prayer:
How many more hymns can you think of to include with the above, a dozen, two dozen? Why not share here with our readers in the comments below?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are appreciated. All comments are moderated and do not immediately appear after publishing. Thanks and have a nice day!