Saturday, December 18, 2021

Members of Christ

        Two gentlemen were discussing the subject of baptism, one of whom doubted its value to a child, regarding it only in the light of an empty form. "Let us go into the garden," said the doctor, "and I will show you." He and his friend paused before a tree, and the doctor pointed with his stick to a withered branch, carefully tied with twine to a round limb. "I used to believe that in a baptism a child was dedicated to God: that is, that he was fastened on to the Church, but with no present spiritual influence. If such be the true doctrine, there is an illustration of the result. "Now see here," he continued, pointing to the limb, "the Prayer-book taught me that in baptism the child is not tied on, but grafted in by the Holy Spirit. See that little twig. I put it there, and the life-giving Lord has made it a part of the tree."

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are appreciated. All comments are moderated and do not immediately appear after publishing. Thanks and have a nice day!