Friday, April 9, 2021

Sermons We See

 Sermons We See
by Edgar A. Guest


I'd rather see a sermon than hear one
any day,
I'd rather one should walk with me
than merely show the way.
The eye's a better pupil and more will-
ing than the ear;
Fine counsel is confusing, but ex-
ample's always clear;
And the best of all the preachers are
the men who live their creeds,
For to see the good in action is what
everybody needs.
I can soon learn how to do it if you'll
let me see it done.
I can watch your hands in action, but
your tongue too fast may run.
And the lectures you deliver may be
very wise and true;
But I'd rather get my lesson by oberv-
ving what you do.
For I may misunderstand you and the
high advice you give,
But there's no misunderstanding how
you act and how you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are appreciated. All comments are moderated and do not immediately appear after publishing. Thanks and have a nice day!