Thursday, January 18, 2018

Comfort By The Way

Comfort By The Way

I JOURNEY through a desert drear and wild:
Yet is my heart by such sweet thoughts beguiled.
Of Him on whom I lean, my strength and stay,
I can forget the sorrows of the way.

Thoughts of His love! the root of every grace
Which finds in this poor heart a dwelling-place;
The sunshine of my soul, than day more bright,
And my calm pillow of repose by night.

Thoughts of His sojourn in this vale of tears!
The tale of love unfolded in those years
Of sinless suffering and patient grace,
I love again and yet again to trace.

Thoughts of His glory! on the cross I gaze,
And there behold its sad yet healing rays;
Beacon of hope! which, lifted up on high,
Illumes with heavenly light the tear-dimmed eye.

Thoughts of His coming! for that joyful day
In joyful hope I watch, and wait, and pray;
The dawn draws nigh, the midnight shadows flee.
And what a sunrise will that advent be!

Thus, while I journey on, my Lord to meet,
My thoughts and meditations are so sweet
Of Him on whom I lean, my strength, my stay,
I can forget the sorrows of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are appreciated. All comments are moderated and do not immediately appear after publishing. Thanks and have a nice day!